Tuesday, November 23, 2010

My Computer Is Broken (not)


“I broke my computer,” my wife says, oh, about every other week.  She’s wrong, but usually I don’t tell her that.
 
What she’s done, usually, is downloaded new software, or forgotten to update her existing software, but more often than not all of her problems can be solved by looking at her drivers.

And there’s nothing more basic to a personal computer than its BIOS, and often this is a Phoenix Technologies BIOS.

In IBM PC-Compatible computers, the BIOS is crucial (BIOS is an acronym for “basic input/output system”), and Phoenix Technologies BIOS products have been a mainstay of personal computers since the early 1980s.

As I tell my wife, at least before her eyes glaze over, the BIOS essentially tells the computer had to start.  It loads the operating system, initializes devices such as the video card, the DVD drive and the hard drive, and boots the system.

She knows the word “boot.”

Updating a computer’s BIOS is often the first step, and sometimes the only one needed, to solve computer problems and get back to business.  A quick update and we’re on our way.
Which is all my wife wants.  That, and for me to stop explaining.


No comments:

Post a Comment